|ESPN.com: Dick Vitale||[Print without images]|
Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• NC State received some good news when former Alabama guard Trevor Lacy decided he will transfer to the Raleigh-based school. He will have to sit out the upcoming season but will have two years of eligibility remaining. He averaged more than 12 points per game last season and Is a positive addition. Remember, coach Mark Gottfried lost guard Rodney Purvis, who transferred to Connecticut.
• My new ESPN colleague Jeff Goodman reported Georgetown big man Greg Whittington suffered a major knee injury, a torn ACL. The Hoyas really missed him in the second half of the 2012-13 season. He provided size and length and was a factor before sitting out the second half of the last campaign. He was expected to come back for the 2013-14 campaign, but that is now in doubt.
• I recently spent some time in Iowa at a charity golf tournament, raising money for the V Foundation. The Hawkeyes are going to be a dangerous team next season. Fran McCaffery has Roy Devyn Marble, Aaron White, Mike Gesell and Adam Woodbury returning. Keep an eye on Iowa as a sleeper in the Big Ten.
• Congrats to Central Florida coach Donnie Jones, who recently received a contract extension. Jones has won 20 or more games each season with the Knights.
• Before joining the ACC, Syracuse will be spending some time in Canada on an exhibition tour this summer. That will help Jim Boeheim's team gain experience and unity.
•I am looking forward to the NBA draft this week. A lot of good players decided to stay in school, like Doug McDermott at Creighton!