Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Boxing [Print without images]

Friday, July 5, 2013
Allan Green pulls out of fight

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

One day after missing his contract weight by six pounds, Allan Green pulled out of this week's ESPN2 "Friday Night Fights" main event, citing food poisoning.

Green, a faded former super middleweight world title challenger, was supposed to face Eleider Alvarez (12-0, 8 KOs), 29, a 2008 Colombian Olympian who now lives in Montreal, in a scheduled 10-round fight that was contracted at 180 pounds at the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford, Conn.

The previously scheduled 10-round co-feature -- former featherweight titlist Billy Dib (35-2, 21 KOs), 27, of Australia, against Hartford's Mike Oliver (25-3, 8 KOs), 33 -- will be the new main event.

Green weighed 186 pounds at Thursday's weigh-in but the camps agreed to fight anyway with Green (32-4, 22 KOs) not having to lose any more weight but having to pay Alvarez 20 percent ($3,000) of his $15,000 purse. Then on Friday, just a few hours before the fight, Green, 33, of Tulsa, Okla., became ill, according to Sean Gibbons, matchmaker for rapper Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, who is putting on his first solo promotion.

"Allan Green decided about 5 p.m. that he has food poisoning," Gibbons said. "Paramedics came and carted him off to the hospital. He didn't make weight and now he gets food poisoning? It's a coincidence, don't you think?

"He ate something and he doesn't feel well. I have to go by what he is saying. Can't call the guy a liar. He's sick, whatever. He had some Chinese food. He looked in not good shape, like he was hurting and he was dehydrated. The paramedics said he was dehydrated. His vitals were low. It's just a horrible thing for the show."

Alvarez-Green was originally scheduled to take place May 25 in Montreal on the Jean Pascal-Lucian Bute undercard, but when that main event was postponed following Bute's injury, Alvarez promoter Yvon Michel, who had originally made the fight, made a deal with Jackson to move it to Friday night's card.

Michel arrived in Hartford from Montreal on Friday evening, only to learn that the fight already had been called off.

Because Michel's next show is not until at least September, he told ESPN.com, Alvarez likely would not fight until then.

Dib is looking to rebound from losing his world title on March 1 in a 12-round split decision to Evgeny Gradovich of Russia in a fight that was also a "Friday Night Fights" main event at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, Conn.

Moving up the card into the co-feature spot is one of the scheduled undercard bouts: lightweight prospect Mark Davis (16-0, 5 KOs), 26, of Cleveland, against Roberto Osiobe (14-5-4, 6 KOs), 35, of Las Vegas. They will meet in a scheduled eight-round bout.