|ESPN.com: NFL||[Print without images]|
LAS VEGAS -- Former NFL running back Larry Johnson has pleaded no contest in a domestic violence case involving an ex-girlfriend at a Las Vegas Strip resort.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports the 33-year-old was ruled guilty Tuesday of misdemeanor domestic violence battery and assault. A felony charge was dropped as part of a plea deal.
Johnson was sentenced to one year of probation and ordered to pay a $345 fine. He must also perform 48 hours of community service and attend six months of counseling.
"I'm just happy to have this behind me and go back to Florida and stay out of trouble for once," Johnson said, according to the Review-Journal.
He said his focus now would be on taking care of his 3-year-old daughter and "try and keep my nose clean."
Police arrested Johnson on Oct. 5 at a Bellagio hotel room amid allegations that he beat and strangled his ex-girlfriend. According to a police report, he and the woman had been drinking alcohol before the altercation, and the woman had marks on her face and bruises on her neck. Johnson had marks on his face that police attributed to the woman fighting him as he choked her.
The woman told officers she passed out and awoke in the 10th floor hallway and knocked on doors until someone called hotel security.
Johnson starred for the Kansas City Chiefs, but most recently played for the Miami Dolphins in 2011.
He was arrested several times during his nine-year NFL career.
In 2003, Johnson was charged with aggravated assault and misdemeanor battery after being accused of brandishing a gun during an argument with a former girlfriend. The charges were dropped after he completed a domestic violence diversion program.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.