|ESPN.com: Baseball||[Print without images]|
NEW YORK -- New York Mets ace Matt Harvey still hopes to avoid undergoing Tommy John surgery but plans to visit Dr. James Andrews Monday to gauge the medical need for the procedure.
Mets doctors diagnosed Harvey with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow on Aug. 26, and the All-Star was shut down for the season.
At the time, Mets officials indicated Harvey would wait two to three weeks and get a follow-up MRI once inflammation had subsided.
That second MRI has not yet occurred, Harvey said Tuesday during a visit to a firehouse in midtown Manhattan with teammates David Wright and Zack Wheeler and team chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon.
"Everything feels fine. My arm feels great," Harvey said. "I'm still very optimistic about everything. But I'm not a doctor, so we'll see what happens."
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has spoken about his planning for a 2014 season without Harvey, although the right-hander's preference remains rehab over Tommy John surgery if it is medically advisable.
Harvey recently spoke with Philadelphia Phillies right-hander Roy Halladay, who decided several years ago to bypass surgery -- although it is not clear Halladay's injury was identical.
"I'm going to get as many opinions as I can," Harvey said. "And which way I decide to go, I'm going to go 150 percent."
For the time being, Harvey is just icing the elbow and riding a bicycle. He last appeared in a major league game Aug. 24 against the Detroit Tigers, when discomfort intensified.
"We wanted to get the second opinion, let the swelling settle down, before we went in and started any rehab or anything like that," Harvey said.
Harvey has yet to have a follow-up exam with Mets doctors since the initial diagnosis of a partially torn UCL.
"I don't think we've gotten that far yet," Harvey said about returning to see Mets doctors. "I'm going to wait to see on Monday how that goes with Dr. Andrews. I'm not going to make an immediate decision while I'm down there. Whether it's another week or whatnot, I'm going to talk to as many people as I can."
Harvey suggested he might be able to return for September 2014 if he undergoes Tommy John surgery soon -- allowing him to get a jump start on being fully ready for 2015.
"I was talking to David [Wright] about it yesterday," Harvey said. "If we do go the surgery route, having it sooner so maybe I can get back in September next year if that's an 11-month process, that's a possibility. But, like I said, we haven't gotten that far. I'm not an M.D., so I don't really know those answers."