Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Mixed Martial Arts [Print without images]

Monday, October 7, 2013
Jones, Teixeira moved off UFC 169

By Brett Okamoto
ESPN.com

A UFC light heavyweight title fight between champion Jon Jones and challenger Glover Teixeira will not take place on Feb. 1, as previously announced.

The UFC will still host a pay-per-view event, UFC 169, during Super Bowl weekend in Newark, N.J., however Jones will not headline. UFC president Dana White confirmed on Monday the promotion prematurely announced the fight last week.

"That is not the Super Bowl fight," White said. "Our people put that out when they shouldn't have put that out. That was never a done deal.

"It didn't work out [on that date]. That fight will probably happen in March."

The UFC had not determined a new main event for the card as of Monday, according to White.

Jones (19-1) defended the 205-pound title for the sixth time last month, defeating Alexander Gustafsson via unanimous decision in Toronto.

The fight was an instant classic, with Gustafsson giving Jones the toughest test of his career. Both were sent to the hospital for precautionary reasons after the fight. Despite the close meeting, White said an immediate rematch was never considered.

"It wasn't close at all, no," said White.

Teixeira (22-2) owns a 20-fight win streak, dating back to May 2006.