|ESPN.com: NFL||[Print without images]|
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, four months removed from back surgery and with just one sack in his past 14 games, said Thursday that he wouldn't be back to full strength until the 2014 season.
"I know for a fact that it's going to take a whole offseason to get my strength back," Pierre-Paul said after Giants practice Thursday. "There's no pain, it's just strength. My back is not totally strong. But that was a big surgery, and I'm just blessed that it went well and that I have a chance to play football again at all."
Pierre-Paul said he doesn't regret the surgery and that he believes he made the right choice having it last offseason because if he hadn't, he would have faced it this offseason. He also said that while he's struggled this year, he felt Monday night's victory over the Vikings was the best he's played so far, and he believes he will continue to improve. He just doesn't think he'll be his old, 2011-style self again until he's had a full offseason to recover.
It really is going to take that whole offseason to get back to the old JPP. But he's not gone.” -- Jason Pierre-Paul
"It really is going to take that whole offseason to get back to the old JPP," Pierre-Paul said. "But he's not gone."
The Giants are last in the league so far this year with just six sacks. Pierre-Paul's struggles have been a significant part of that, and he said teams are treating him differently than they did last year and the year before -- specifically, not using as many double-teams against him.
"There's no reason to double me right now," he said. "But don't be too stupid and just leave me one-on-one all game. I can still get there."