Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Boxing [Print without images]

Thursday, October 31, 2013
Updated: November 1, 3:24 PM ET
Alfonso Gomez withdraws from bout

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Welterweight Alfonso Gomez suffered a freak hand injury this week, forcing him to withdraw from a Dec. 14 fight with former titleholder Victor Ortiz.

They were due to meet at the Alamodome in San Antonio on the Showtime-televised undercard of the Adrien Broner-Marcos Maidana welterweight title bout. Ortiz-Gomez wasn't formally announced until Saturday, but on Tuesday, Gomez suffered the injury and pulled out of the fight.

"He broke his hand in a freak accident," Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez (no relation) told ESPN.com. "Carrying his baby son, he tripped and fell. Protecting her, he fell on his arm and broke his hand."

Gomez (23-6-2, 12 KOs), a former welterweight and junior middleweight title challenger and former star of "The Contender" reality series, would have been fighting for the first time in 17 months. He is coming off back-to-back losses, a sixth-round knockout to Canelo Alvarez in a September 2011 junior middleweight title fight and a decision to Shawn Porter in July 2012.

Eric Gomez said he is in the process of looking for a replacement opponent to face Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 KOs), who will remain on the card.

The fight with Alfonso Gomez had been a scheduled 10-rounder at 147 pounds, although with a new opponent, Ortiz might fight in the 154-pound junior middleweight division.

Ortiz is coming off an 18-month layoff. He lost his previous two bouts, a fourth-round knockout to Floyd Mayweather Jr., in which Ortiz lost his world title, in September 2011 and a ninth-round stoppage against Josesito Lopez in June 2012. In the fight with Lopez, Ortiz suffered a badly broken jaw, the key reason he has had such a long layoff.