Print and Go Back ESPN.com: NFL [Print without images]

Sunday, November 3, 2013
Fins in contact with Jonathan Martin

By James Walker
ESPN.com

The Miami Dolphins issued a statement Sunday confirming that there is open communication between the organization and Jonathan Martin, their starting right tackle who left the team last week following a lunchroom incident.

DolphinsThe Miami Dolphins, including Coach Joe Philbin and Jonathan's teammates, have been in communication with Jonathan and his family since his departure from the club and continue to be in contact. Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being.

-- Dolphins' statement on Jonathan Martin

Until Sunday, the Dolphins had been mostly mum on the details involving the Martin situation. 

"The Miami Dolphins, including Coach Joe Philbin and Jonathan's teammates, have been in communication with Jonathan and his family since his departure from the club and continue to be in contact," the Dolphins said in a statement. "Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being. As an organization, we take any accusations of player misconduct seriously. The notion of bullying is based on speculation and has not been presented to us as a concern from Jonathan or anyone else internally. The reports that the NFLPA is investigating our players are inaccurate.

"Additionally, the NFL offered its assistance during this time, which we appreciated and gladly accepted. We will continue to make Jonathan's health and well-being a focus as we do with all of our players."

Fox Sports reported last week that Martin has been the subject of persistent bullying with the Dolphins. ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter also reported on Friday that the NFLPA is reviewing the situation, particularly Dolphins guard Richie Incognito's role in the alleged harassment of Martin.

One high-ranking Dolphins official who did not want to be identified defended Incognito as a player who has been a "model citizen" and was mystified by any allegations related to Incognito.

Meanwhile, several sources insisted Incognito was involved, adding that the incident was not isolated and extended to 2012, when Martin was a second-round draft pick by the team. One source said any emotional issues Martin is experiencing are directly related to his harassment.

It is unknown when Martin will return to the team. The Dolphins' next game is Nov. 11, against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on "Monday Night Football."