|ESPN.com: Mixed Martial Arts||[Print without images]|
Champion Jon Jones has pulled out of his just-announced UFC light heavyweight title fight against Glover Teixeira, company president Dana White said Thursday night.
The pay-per-view event, UFC 170, is set for Feb. 22 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The bout was initially announced for UFC 169 on Feb. 1, but White later acknowledged no deal had been finalized for that date before announcing the fight's cancellation Thursday.
When asked if Jones was injured, Dana responded, "No."
"He won't fight Feb. 22," White said. "It might be March now."
Jones (19-1) set the UFC record for consecutive light heavyweight title defenses in September, defeating Alexander Gustafsson via unanimous decision for his sixth defense.
The bout was extremely close, which caused some speculation the UFC would book Jones and Gustafsson to an immediate rematch. White told ESPN.com in October, however, that Jones personally requested to fight Teixeira next.
Teixeira (22-2) has recorded 20 consecutive victories dating to 2006. The Brazilian is 5-0 since signing with the UFC last year, a run that includes four finishes.