Ivan Pravilov indicted on sex charges
PHILADELPHIA -- A Ukrainian hockey coach has been indicted on charges he fondled a teen attending clinics in Philadelphia.
Ivan Pravilov, a mentor to several NHL and college players, has been in custody since his arrest last week.
Federal authorities will seek detention at a hearing Friday. They say he threatened a teenage witness and has no local ties.
A recent book by former player Maxim Starchenko describes the coach as physically, mentally and sexually abusive.
Authorities say the 48-year-old Pravilov took a 14-year-old Ukrainian boy to his Philadelphia apartment this month for sexual purposes. The boy was staying with a family in Wilmington, Del.
Pravilov's hockey school takes young players to camps and tournaments throughout the U.S.
His public defender declined to comment Thursday.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- Sources: Clippers' Griffin has back fracture
- GM admits RG III played too early in 2013
- NBPA elects 1st big league female union chief
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Zephyr Men's USA Hockey Uppercut Navy/Red Flex Hat