NFL Week 16: Twas the day after Christmas
Twas the day after Christmas and all through the league, playoff scenarios were stirring all kinds of intrigue. Here's 10 stories picked with your interest in mind, starring Tebow and Brady, plus the NFC West bind.
1) Giants at Packers: Week 16's most consequential game. Giants win and are postseason bound. Packers win and they control their own destiny. A loss and they'll be packing their bags for the offseason.
2) NFC West Conundrum: If the 5-9 49ers beat St. Louis and Seattle loses at Tampa, the 49ers control their own destiny. What an absurd division. While a postseason reseeding based on record is surely on the horizon, I'd opt to ban any sub .500 team from the playoffs. Agree?
3) Brett Favre Saga: Favre is listed as out with a concussion (and a generally deterioted body), but is he ever really out?
4) Brady on the Brink: Tom Brady, who just passed Michael Vick in Pro Bowl voting, is looking for another exclamation point on an already remarkable season. This time we're talking consecutive pass attempts without an interception. Brady, at 292, is 17 passes away from the NFL record. Watch out, Bernie Kosar!
5) Tebow Time, Part Deux: Sure to be rested from a good night's sleep in the manger, will Tim Tebow bring that heavenly touch and establish himself as the Broncos quarterback of the future?
6) Sweet Home Atlanta: The Falcons can clinch the NFC South and home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a win at home over the Saints on Monday night. A tough task, you might be thinking? Not for Matt Ryan, who is 19-1 at the Georgia Dome.
7) Raging Ray: Asked about Browns RB Peyton Hilis earlier this week, Ray Lewis meowed: "A blind cat will find a meal every once in a while." The 'blind cat' stuffed himself to the tune of 144 rushing yards in their first tangle. Who gets the final purr on Sunday?
8) Beary Interesting Matchup: Will the Bears finally beat a good team not saddled with a backup QB and/or will the Jets finally put their "foot" down offensively? (Sorry, couldn't resist)
9) Let's Mike a Deal: Welcome to the Seahawks vs. the Bucs. Behind Door No. 1 we have Mike Williams, Seahawks WR. Behind Door No. 2 we have Mike Williams, Bucs WR. Can either lead their team to the "big deal" known as the playoffs?
10) Fantasy This: Week 16 equals fantasy finals in most leagues and contenders often think everyone wants to hear about their team. But most owners don't and are still bitter about their own eliminations. So, Marcedes Lewis or Vernon Davis as my TE this week? C'mon people, this is for the championship!