Liz Stephen holds U.S. ski team together
For an athlete competing in an individual sport, one who can dive deeper into the "pain cave" than anyone else her coach has seen, Liz Stephen is all about the group effort.
"If there weren't five other girls here, I think she'd be doing something else," said U.S. Nordic ski team coach Matt Whitcomb.
Stephen concedes that's probably true. She spends more time with her teammates than with anyone else. They travel together, train ...
Read full story
Out In The Cold
How do top athletes prepare for competition and train in cold temps? espnW asks the experts:
Week 1: Bobsled
• The Athlete: Kaillie Humphries changes direction
• Get-In Gear: Bobsledders' must-haves
• Photos: The world of bobsledding
Week 2: Snowboarding
• The Athlete: Clark still carving out her own path
• Get-In Gear: Snowboarders' must-haves
• Photos: The world of snowboarding
Week 3: Endurance/X-country skiing
• The Athlete: Liz Stephen leading way
• Get-In Gear: X-country skier's must-haves
Week 4: Skiing
• The Athlete: Stacey Cook crashes and learns
• Get-In Gear: Skiers' must-haves
Click To Share