It's Mater Dei-Windward, for starters
All games are not created equally. This weekend, there are a handful of championship games that will have implications for the final national rankings. And the showdowns start right at the top. Here are five.
1. No. 1 Mater Dei vs. No. 5 Windward. Can you say classic? California's top two teams meet Friday night in the Southern Section Open Division final. The game features superstars Jordin Canada, Kristen Simon, Katie Lou Samuelson and Neah Odom, to name a few. The best news? This could just be Chapter One. Windward (25-2) and Mater Dei (25-1) could meet again in the regional finals.
2. No. 2 Blackman vs. Ridgeway. Blackman (32-1) takes on Ridgeway (29-3) in the Tennessee Class AAA state championship on Saturday. The No. 2 team in the nation has just one loss on the season, to No. 4 Incarnate Word (a loss Blackman later avenged). Led by super sophomore Crystal Dangerfield, who scored 22 points in the semifinal win, Blackman looks to keep it that way and stay in the hunt for the national title.
3. No. 10 Bedford North Lawrence vs. Penn. After avenging its lone loss of the season, to No. 11 Lawrence North, in the semi-state, Bedford North Lawrence (26-1) is one win away from defending its state title under first-year coach and Indiana legend Damon Bailey. Penn (25-1) awaits in Saturday's final. Dominique McBryde and Jenna Allen are both averaging more than 15 points for the Stars.
4. No. 17 Southwest Dekalb vs. Tucker. Led by juniors Tynice Martin and Davion Wingate, Southwest Dekalb (30-2) looks to defend its AAAAA title against Tucker (28-4) on Friday night. Also worth keeping an eye on in Georgia is McEachern (27-2) vs. Archer (29-3) in the AAAAAA final on Saturday and St. Pius X (29-3), featuring the No. 1 prospect in the 2015 class in Asia Durr, against Buford (30-2) for the AAA title.
5. No. 20 Salmen vs. Warren Easton. Led by superstar Kalani Brown, who had 22 points and 20 rebounds in the semifinals, Salmen (32-1) takes on Warren Easton (32-3) in the Louisiana Class 4A championship game on Saturday. The teams met earlier this season, and Salmen posted a thrilling 52-50 win.