Big East seeking $2.5M from Irish
The Big East is seeking at least $2.5 million from Notre Dame to allow the Fighting Irish to leave and join the ACC on July 1, a source told ESPN.
With the official departure of the Catholic 7 schools, Notre Dame wants to move to the ACC this summer. Sources told ESPN that the ACC would allow Notre Dame to join the ACC on July 1 if it could get out of the Big East.
Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick could not immediately be reached for comment. The ACC declined comment about Notre Dame on Friday afternoon.
Big East bylaws require schools to provide 27 months' notice before leaving, so Notre Dame can't depart the league until 2015 without negotiating an earlier exit.
The Big East previously offered Notre Dame the chance at an earlier exit if the Fighting Irish would schedule future football games against Big East opponents, sources said.
However, Notre Dame, with five annual games scheduled against ACC opponents starting in 2014, told the Big East it didn't have any future openings and was unable to accommodate the request. Notre Dame announced last year it was joining the ACC in all sports but football.
Notre Dame intended to stay in the Big East through the 2013-14 season as long as the league's seven Catholic basketball schools remained. But those schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova -- announced Friday they are leaving to start their own league July 1.
Unlike other league members, Notre Dame has a unique exit agreement with the Big East that if it provides 27 months'notice, the school does not have to pay an exit fee.
The ACC already has formulated an 18-game, 15-team scheduling format for men's basketball, including Notre Dame, if the Irish make the move for the 2013-14 season.