Harrington denies Garcia top prize in British Open playoff victory
CARNOUSTIE, Scotland -- Anywhere else, Padraig Harrington might have walked off the 18th green knowing his two shots that found the bottom of Barry Burn for double bogey had cost him the British Open.
Not at Carnoustie, where calamity can strike at any second and did during Sunday's final round.
One shot crashed off the stone wall of the burn and ricocheted
50 yards across the wrong fairway and out-of-bounds. Another
bounced across a tiny bridge until it plunged over the side ...
Read full story
BRITISH OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Where: Carnoustie Golf Links, Carnoustie, Scotland
Yardage/Par: 7,421 yards; par 71
2007 champion: Padraig Harrington
British Open leaderboard
• Recap: Harrington wins in playoff
• Wojciechowski: Final-round thrill ride
• Sobel: Harrington completes long journey
• Sirak: Garcia will bear burden of loss
• Harig: Garcia chalks up loss to bad breaks
• Harig: Romero's wild ride
• Harig notebook: No more Carnasty
• Sobel: Round 4 blog
• Round 4 photo gallery
• Round 3 recap: Garcia leads by three
• Harig: Sergio won't have to worry about Tiger
• Sobel: What each contender needs to do
• Wojciechowski: Stricker is America's best hope
• Sobel: Round 3 blog
• Harig: No. 18 is the bitter end
• Harig notebook: Tiger gives himself a "chance"
• Round 3 photo gallery
• Round 2 recap: Garcia up two
• Wojciechowski: Garcia bellies up to the lead
• Harig: Boo gets some cheers
• Sobel: Round 2 blog
• Harig: Woods' run in jeopardy
• Harig notebook: Bye, Phil!
• Sobel: Choi in hunt for first major
• Round 2 photo gallery
• Round 1 recap: Garcia up by two
• Harig: Top players heat up in cold
• Sobel: Sergio continues maturation process
• Wojciechowski: Player's imperfect 10?
• Harig notebook: McIlroy impresses
• Sobel: Round 1 blog
• Harig: Tiger gets a ruling
• Round 1 photo gallery