<
>

Robert Garrigus criticizes anchor ban

When the United States Golf Association and the Royal and Ancient Golf Club proposed banning the anchoring of strokes on Nov. 28, they said there would be a 90-day comment period. At least one PGA Tour player is taking them up on their offer.

After Round 2 of the Waste Management Phoenix Open on Friday, Robert Garrigus told ESPN.com's Michael Collins about his question-and-answer session with USGA executive director Mike Davis.

During a PGA Tour players meeting last week at the Farmers Insurance Open, Garrigus said he wanted to know how many of the board members who are enacting this potential rule change have ever struck a shot in competition.

"Zero," Garrigus said Davis told him.

The 35-year-old winner of the 2010 Children's Miracle Network Classic didn't stop there.

"They are amateurs who are making rules for a professional game," Garrigus said.

"It's unfortunate that they are trying to ban it because the guys that are using the putter are good dudes. They're not cheating. It's within the rules right now. And it's never an advantage."

In his career, Garrigus has used a long putter anchored against his body.

"It's just unfortunate they've got to try to say that it's overwhelming the game. And I think that's ridiculous."