Rory McIlroy won't add tournament

Updated: March 9, 2013, 4:02 PM ET
By Bob Harig | ESPN.com

DORAL, Fla. -- Despite his recent struggles, Rory McIlroy said Saturday he will not add another tournament to prepare for next month's Masters.

McIlroy shot his second straight sub-par round at the Blue Monster course after a horrible start to the 2013 season that has seen him struggle with his game and walk off the course in frustration a week ago at the Honda Classic.

His 1-under 71 during the third round of the WGC-Cadillac Championship on Saturday included a stretch of five birdies over six holes but also saw him make a double-bogey and three bogeys.

After Sunday's final round, McIlroy will go back to work on his game and said he will not play again until the Shell Houston Open in three weeks. The Masters is April 11-14.

"I thought about it," he said when asked about adding another tournament, "but I'm not going to."

McIlroy is simply trying to find some consistency with his game at this point. After a tumultuous period, he's now gone 4 under par over the past 36 holes on the Blue Monster, although admittedly on a tame course that is yielding numerous birdies.

"A lot of positives on the back nine," said McIlroy, who will remain ranked No. 1 in the world regardless of the outcome of the tournament. "I'm starting to hit the ball a lot better this week. I have spells of good shots and spells of bad shots, but I'm getting there. I'm getting there.

"This time last week I was grinding my a-- trying to find a swing. Now even my bad shots are coming off the middle of the clubface. I'm driving the ball much better. I'm doing a lot of good work and I'm feeling more comfortable out there."

McIlroy, who won five times worldwide in 2012 including a major championship, said last week was the lowest point of his career. He was coming off a missed cut in Abu Dhabi, a first-round loss at the WGC-Accenture Match Play and another poor performance at the Honda, where he quit after eight holes having gone 7-over par.

Earlier this week, McIlroy apologized, and said he was frustrated by his struggles on the course. Next up is the short game.

"I've sort of neglected it because I was working on my swing," he said. "I'll devote a little more time on my short game now. I'm on the right track with my swing. I'm excited about my game."

Bob Harig | email

Golf Writer, ESPN.com

ALSO SEE