Like Avery Romero, Russell appears to be a candidate to move to third base at the next levels, and there's enough arm strength and athleticism to warrant a shot in the outfield if necessary. He possesses well above-average bat speed that may turn into enticing power come draft day. Russell, who signed on to play at Auburn, starred with Almora on the USA Baseball National Team that won the Pan Am title.
Russell looks more like a third baseman than a shortstop, and his power follows suit. But he moves his feet well and has terrific hands, so there's a chance for him to stick at short in pro ball as long as he remains in top condition. Auburn will miss out on a premium recruit if Russell signs a pro deal this summer.
--Jason A. Churchill
2011 First-Team All-State ESPN High School magazine (Jr.),
2011 District and Regional Champion,
Pensacola News Journal Hitter of the Year (for the second year in a row),
Selected to Perfect Game All-American Classic in San Diego (CA),
Honored at the Junior Pan-Am Games in Colombia as the All-World SS of the 18U USA Team.
Grand Slam for the USA Team in the 18U Junior Pan-Am Championship Game held in Colombia, where they won the Gold Metal.
Addison Russell, 6-1, 195, IF, FR, R/R, Pace HS, Pensacola, FL
- Ranked No. 24 high school prospect by Perfect Game
- Ranked No. 18 high school prospect by Baseball America
- Plays for Charlier Warner at Pace HS
- Also plays for Jared Goodwin and FTB Mizuno
- Played on Team USA Baseball 18U Gold Medal Winner
- 2011 Perfect Game Aflac All-American Game
- 2011 Louisville Slugger First Team All-American
- 2010 and 2011 Pensacola News Journal Hitter of the Year
- 2011 Pensacola News Journal Athlete of the Year
- 2010 and 2011 First Team 3A All-State
- 2010 UnderArmour All-American Game
- 2010 and 2011 Perfect Game National Showcase invitee
- East Coast Pro Showcase
(Auburn Head Coach John) Pawlowski on Russell...
"Addison is one of the best players in the country at any position. He is a sure-handed shortstop that also makes highlight reel plays. He has one of the most powerful swings in the country and has been the best hitter in the Florida panhandle area for the last three years. We are proud that Addison represented Auburn and our country and won a gold medal as the shortstop for Team USA."