- Birmingham, ALHometown
- Hoover High School
- 44Overall Rank
- 9Position Rank
- Jun 28, 2011
- No. 29 Chardonae Fuqua verbals to Big 12
- Chardonae Fuqua, the 6-foot forward and one-time LSU commit, told ESPN HoopGurlz she has committed to the Baylor Bears. She chose Kim Mulkey's program over finalist Georgia.
"I didn't know the process would be this hard. When you have good schools interested in you it's a lot harder to make a choice. My mom made me write down the pros and cons on the schools of interest, gave me her input and told me to make the best decision for my future goals," Fuqua said in an email.
"My auntie prayed with us and I started to think. After weeks of research and weighing my options, I couldn't shake the feeling I had after attending Baylor's Advanced Skills Camp and how much I like the staff, players and campus. It was a tough decision but I'm excited to become a Baylor Lady Bear."
Fuqua, the No. 29 player in the ESPNU HoopGurlz 100 for the class of 2012, committed a year ago to LSU but in April she reopened her recruitment when Van Chancellor resigned as the Tigers' coach. The rising senior at Hoover High School (Birmingham, Ala.) initially considered a list that included Alabama, Auburn and Georgia Tech, in addition to her finalists.
The Bears are having a strong week in recruiting. In addition to Fuqua's verbal, the program landed top 100 guard prospect Destiny Brown from Monroeville, Pa. Those pledges give Baylor three in the 2012 with 6-4 post Kristina Higgins, verbally committing in February.
- Jun 8, 2011
- No. 29 Chardonae Fuqua visits an ACC school this week
- Former LSU commit Chardonae Fuqua, a 6-foot forward from Birmingham, Ala., told ESPN HoopGurlz in a text message that she took an unofficial visit to Georgia Tech this week.
Fuqua, No. 29 prospect in the 2012 class according to ESPN HoopGurlz, is coming off a junior season where she lead her Hoover (Ala.) High School basketball team to a 6A runner-up finish to Bob Jones (Madison, Ala.). Fuqua lists Baylor, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Alabama as schools of interest.
- Apr 30, 2011
- Coaching changes shake up SEC
- Chardonae Fuqua, the 6-foot forward from Birmingham, Ala., has reopened her recruitment, her mother Malinda Fuqua told ESPN HoopGurlz. Fuqua, an ESPN HoopGurlz Super 60 prospect in the 2012 class, originally committed to LSU on June 25, 2010, to then coach Van Chancellor.
Chancellor resigned from LSU this spring and was replaced by former UCLA head coach Nikki Caldwell.
Malinda Fuqua cited the coaching change as the reason her daughter decommitted and also indicated the reopening of her recruitment was a mutual thing.
- Jun 25, 2010
- Hoover's Chardonae Fuqua verbally commits
- Chardonae Fuqua, the 6-foot 2012 forward from Hoover High School in Birmingham, Ala., has given a verbal commitment to Louisiana State University and head coach Van Chancellor.
"Chardonae is a 6-0 athletic phenom who can defend all positions," her Alabama RoadRunners club team coach Darrell Barber said. "She runs the floor like a gazelle and has a soft touch and tremendous lift on her shot. She has the ability to block shots with ease. With two years of continuous work remaining before she graduates, LSU will be getting a steal by adding Chardonae Fuqua to the Lady Tiger family."