- Gardena, CAHometown
- Junipero Serra High School
- 68Overall Rank
- 15Position Rank
- Jun 15, 2012
- No. 53 Siera Thompson is Big Ten bound
- Siera Thompson of Gardena, Calif., has verbally committed to Michigan, according to her club team director, Elbert Kinnebrew of the Cal Sparks. The No. 53 prospect in the ESPN HoopGurlz Super 60 for the class of 2013 chose the Wolverines over finalists Kansas, Santa Barbara and Virginia Tech.
"Siera is a point guard with a consistent 3-point shot who keeps turnovers low in big games," Kinnebrew said. "She is an excellent director in half-court sets with good sense of creating passing angles within the structure of designed plays, a rare trait for a transition guard like Siera. A student-achiever in the classroom, she's prepared for the demanding academics at Michigan."
Thompson, a 5-foot-7 rising senior at Junipero Serra High School (San Mateo, Calif.), is the first pledge for Michigan in the 2013 class and the first pledge to new head coach Kim Barnes-Arico. She is rated a four-star prospect by ESPN HoopGurlz.
- Mar 4, 2011
- Serra gets big life from soph Siera Thompson
- Siera Thompson's poise and big-shot ability helped Serra (Gardena, Calif.) take advantage of Aly Beebe's foul troubes and claim the CIF Southern Section 3AA title with a 66-58 victory over St. Joseph (Santa Maria, Calif.).
Thompson had 16 of her game-high 28 points during the fourth quarter. She also finished with five steals, five rebounds, two assists and a block. She made all nine of her free throws and sank three of five 3-point attempts.
Beebe, the No. 13 prospect in the ESPN HoopGurlz Super 60 for 2012, had 12 points and 12 rebounds in the first half, but finished with 18 points and 17 boards after fouling out with 6:39 left to play. She had drawn her fourth with 7:26 left, but St. Joseph coach Ed Torres gambled by returning with his star center just seconds later.
St. Joseph led 44-38 when Beebe fouled out.