Stephanie's Kitten springs upset
BREEDERS' CUP JF TURF | PURSE: $1,000,000 | GRADE 2 | 2-YEAR-OLD FILLIES | ONE MILE (TURF)
Ken and Sarah Ramsey's homebred Stephanie's Kitten collared pacesetter Stopshoppingmaria late to win the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf. The daughter of Kitten's Joy covered the mile in 1:38.80 under John Velazquez. Sweet Cat finished third
Stopshoppingmaria, with Javier Castellano up, set all the pace in the Nov. 4 mile race for 2-year-old fillies with early splits of :24.57, :50.55, and 1:15.71 but was run down in deep stretch. She was chased by Sweet Cat with Royal Bonnie and Dayatthespa down the backstretch. Royal Bonnie, with Cornelio Velazquez up, made a sweeping move on the turn and Hard Not to Like came with a strong bid as they straightened away for home.
Stephanie's Kitten won the $1 million race by three-quarters of a length. Stopshoppingmaria finished 1 1/4 lengths ahead of Sweet Cat. Up finished fourth with Hard Not to Like finishing fifth. Favored Elusive Kate ran eighth in the field of 14.
The winner, who won the Darley Alcibiades Stakes over Keeneland's Polytrack, is out of the Catienus mare Unfold the Rose. She finished third in Woodbine's Natalma Stakes on Sept. 19 prior to the Alcibiades. She now has a 3-0-2 slate from five starts.
Stephanie's Kitten paid $14.20, $6.60, and $5.20. Stopshoppingmaria returned $9.20 and $7.60, and Sweet Cat paid $9.40 to show.
She is trained by Wayne Catalano, who was winning his third Breeders' Cup race with a 2-year-old filly. He won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies with Dreaming of Anna in 2006 and She Be Wild in 2009.
Stephanie's Kitten is named for one of the Ramseys' granddaughters.
November 2 & 3
Full Cup Coverage
• Fort Larned wins Classic in upset
• Wise Dan looks great in BC Mile win
• Trinniberg upsets in Breeders' Cup Sprint
• Little Mike comes up huge in BC Turf
• Shanghai Bobby wins Juvneile
• Royal Delta repeats in Ladies' Classic
• Zagora tenacious in BC F&M Turf
• Mizdirection scores Turf Sprint for Jim Rome
• Groupie Doll cruises in F&M Sprint
• Tapizar overpowers in Dirt Mile
• Beholder wins BC Juvenile Fillies
• George Vancouver best in Juvenile Turf
• Flotilla takes BC Juv Fillies Turf
• Calidoscopio upsets in BC Marathon
• Hightail takes Juvenile Sprint
• TCI: A look at BC pre-entries
• Podcast: Handicapping the Cup Part 2
• Podcast: Handicapping the Cup Part 1
• Podcast: Bloodhorse writer Claire Novak
• Podcast: Owner Aron Wellman
• Podcast: Trainers Lopresti & Pletcher
• Podcast: British racing analyst Nick Luck
• West: Front-running has its privileges
• Cronley: Home cooking at the Cup
• Finley: Best and worst at Breeders' Cup
• Ehalt: Velazquez made a 'Wise' decision
• West: Thoughts on Saturday
• Duckworth: Continued Hope
• Novak: Patience a virtue for Leon
• West: From the Cup to Eclipse
• Duckworth: Girl Power
• West: A Classic Halloween treat
• Cronley: Breeders' Cup picks
• West: Race is on in Ladies' Classic
• Finley:Marathon, Juvenile Sprint must go
• Moran: Breeders' Cup sends unclear message
• West: Breeders' Cup is upon us
• Cronley: Breeders' Cup mazes
• Finley: Top 10 Breeders' Cup moments
• West: No place like home for Mandella
• Moran: The legacy of the Ladies' Classic
• Cronley: Breeders' Cup possibilities
• West: Breeders' Cup nostalgia
• Finley: Conquering the Europeans?
• Cronley: Breeders' Cup advice