Why is just making the Derby a goal?
Trinniberg is a fast and talented racehorse and up to this point he's been well managed by owner Shivananda Parbhoo. After the colt won the Bay Shore at Aqueduct, it appeared that Parbhoo was going to find the next suitable spot for his colt, something short, maybe the Derby Trial. And then he lost all sense of reason.Parbhoo announced last week that Trinniberg would make his next start in the Kentucky Derby. Why? Because he can.
Even if all 19 other starters were deep closers, Trinniberg should not be in the Derby.
The Lasix DebateWhile racing certainly needs to do something to shed its image as a sport that is plagued by out-of-control drug use, the debate over banning Lasix should ultimately come down not to public relations but what is best for the horses. On that point, the pro-Lasix crowd won't exactly argue. In fact, it says that taking the drug away from the 98 percent of horses that use it when racing is tantamount to animal cruelty. Rick Hiles, the president of the Kentucky HBPA, said he recalls seeing horses collapse in pools of blood in the pre-Lasix days. He added, "I think that if this is allowed to happen, the Humane Society is going to come down on us like you won't believe." If I believed any of this I would be leading the debate to save this "wonder" drug. But what Hiles and so many others have been saying just doesn't add up.
But the real indictment of Lasix is that it has failed miserably in the intended goal of keeping horses healthy and racing more often.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Enhanced security measures for Belmont Stakes
- Over 100 horses feared dead after OK tornado
- Preakness champ Oxbow pointed to Belmont
- Oxbow wins Preakness; Orb finishes fourth
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Stakes • Saturday, June 8
More Triple Crown
• Oxbow pointed to Belmont Stakes
• Oxbow upsets Preakness Stakes
• Freedom Child wins Peter Pan; Belmont next
• Orb wins 139th Kentucky Derby
• Princess of Sylmar rules Oaks
• Baffert out of Kentucky Derby
Bob Ehalt's Hot List
• Breaking down the Preakness Stakes
• Derby recap and a look at the Peter Pan
• Breaking down the Kentucky Derby
In The Gate Video/Podcast
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 1
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 2
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 3
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 4
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 5
• Paul Hornung talks Titletown Five
Triple Crown Live Chat Schedule
• Belmont: Saturday, June 8 (3 p.m. ET)
• Preakness chat wrap
• Kentucky Derby chat wrap
• Kentucky Oaks chat wrap
• Derby Giveaway: Join Digiturf.com with reference code KD13 and race to Win $500!
• Derby Bonus: Join Digiturf.com with reference code KD13 and race in Kentucky Derby New Stable races to get an unlimited Match Bonus!
Triple Crown Video
• Watch the 138th Preakness Stakes
• ABR: A day with Orb
• TCI: Derby recap
• Kenny Mayne: Between two horses
• Cronley: Preakness traps
• Finley: Why Lukas is a winner
• Moran: Stevens all smiles
• Ehalt: Dark days
• Cronley: What were you thinking?
• Novak: Hernandez in the saddle
• Duckworth: Departing up for challenge
• Ehalt: Seeking redemption
• Moran: Triple Crown should not be easy
• Mayne: When will I listen?
• West: Tradition steals Derby spotlight
• West: Calumet back in Derby spotlight
• Moran: Progress tough on Churchill
• Novak: Victory starts on the backside