A week for dreams
It is a fine place to think, to sort, to wonder. From the corner seat of a darkened bar a man can rule his domain and consider the content of his lifetime, find answers or at least identify the questions, one of which returns for consideration annually in May.It wasn't where life went wrong or right that was lodged in his consciousness now that his was closer to the end than the beginning, but where it went and why? The view over the lip of a glass can provide a sense of perspective that is both familiar and comfortable. An expanse of dark wood can be almost womblike, a good place to recall the slow horses he has owned and his reasons for returning thirsty time and again to a dry well. He had meandered for decades, place to place, chapter to chapter that formed this familiar circle. Everywhere he had been, it seemed, was a place he'd been before. In the spring, the season of renewal and rebirth, the road leads back to Kentucky.
The Kentucky Derby is about time and place and the accumulation of memories.
Ownership of a Kentucky Derby winner is the real American Dream.
Seattle Slew cost $17,000 when sold at auction. America's race can be won by anyone who makes the decision to pursue to most outrageous, unlikely dream that can possibly come true.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Enhanced security measures set for Belmont
- Over 100 horses feared dead after OK tornado
- Preakness champ Oxbow pointed to Belmont
- Oxbow wins Preakness; Orb finishes fourth
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Stakes • Saturday, June 8
More Triple Crown
• Oxbow pointed to Belmont Stakes
• Oxbow upsets Preakness Stakes
• Freedom Child wins Peter Pan; Belmont next
• Orb wins 139th Kentucky Derby
• Princess of Sylmar rules Oaks
• Baffert out of Kentucky Derby
Bob Ehalt's Hot List
• Preakness Stakes review
• Breaking down the Preakness Stakes
• Derby recap and a look at the Peter Pan
• Breaking down the Kentucky Derby
In The Gate Video/Podcast
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 1
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 2
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 3
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 4
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 5
• Paul Hornung talks Titletown Five
Triple Crown Live Chat Schedule
• Belmont: Saturday, June 8 (3 p.m. ET)
• Preakness chat wrap
• Kentucky Derby chat wrap
• Kentucky Oaks chat wrap
• Derby Giveaway: Join Digiturf.com with reference code KD13 and race to Win $500!
• Derby Bonus: Join Digiturf.com with reference code KD13 and race in Kentucky Derby New Stable races to get an unlimited Match Bonus!
Triple Crown Video
• Watch the 138th Preakness Stakes
• ABR: A day with Orb
• TCI: Derby recap
• Kenny Mayne: Between two horses
• West: Look past Orb's bad day
• Cronley: Preakness traps
• Finley: Why Lukas is a winner
• Moran: Stevens all smiles
• Ehalt: Dark days
• Cronley: What were you thinking?
• Novak: Hernandez in the saddle
• Duckworth: Departing up for challenge
• Ehalt: Seeking redemption
• Moran: Triple Crown should not be easy
• Mayne: When will I listen?
• West: Tradition steals Derby spotlight
• West: Calumet back in Derby spotlight
• Moran: Progress tough on Churchill
• Novak: Victory starts on the backside