Preakness in the rearview mirror
Well, it wasn't Clippers versus Spurs, was it? But the Preakness wasn't a bad showcase for a sport considered by some to be "in trouble."Here's horse racing's chief source of trouble: the mainstream media that shows up once a year on an expense account at the Kentucky Derby and has an assistant scare up another sport-in-peril story. Horse racing is changing fast. The "majors," the Triple Crown races and the Breeder's Cup, draw great on site and on TV. During the rest of the year, nobody goes to the live races, but lots bet at simulcast joints and at home. Find a more exciting recent sporting event than the Preakness. Go ahead. I'll be right here waiting to hear about it. Everybody sees different things during a day at the races. Here is what I saw. Two tracks had very good days: Belmont Park, which will be the bull's-eye of the sports world in three weeks, and Santa Anita, which put real-earth dirt back on its racing surface and has become a major player in the majors, running 1-2-3 here. I'll Have Another was one of the great prices in recent Triple Crown history at 3.20-to-1 odds, particularly in light of Went the Day Lousy finishing next to last at 5-1 and Daddy Nose Sunland finishing third from the bottom at 11-1.
Pimlico determined that the next best thing to having slot machines in the infield was putting Maroon 5 in the infield.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Obviously controls pace to win G2 American H.
- Irish import Tannery takes G2 Sheepshead S
- 'Cove' wins consecutive stakes in Louisville H.
- Imposing Grace springs upset in Arlington Matron
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Stakes • Saturday, June 8
More Triple Crown
• Oxbow pointed to Belmont Stakes
• Oxbow upsets Preakness Stakes
• Freedom Child wins Peter Pan; Belmont next
• Orb wins 139th Kentucky Derby
• Princess of Sylmar rules Oaks
• Baffert out of Kentucky Derby
Bob Ehalt's Hot List
• Preakness Stakes review
• Breaking down the Preakness Stakes
• Derby recap and a look at the Peter Pan
• Breaking down the Kentucky Derby
In The Gate Video/Podcast
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 1
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 2
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 3
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 4
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 5
• Paul Hornung talks Titletown Five
Triple Crown Live Chat Schedule
• Belmont: Saturday, June 8 (3 p.m. ET)
• Preakness chat wrap
• Kentucky Derby chat wrap
• Kentucky Oaks chat wrap
• Derby Giveaway: Join Digiturf.com with reference code KD13 and race to Win $500!
• Derby Bonus: Join Digiturf.com with reference code KD13 and race in Kentucky Derby New Stable races to get an unlimited Match Bonus!
Triple Crown Video
• Watch the 138th Preakness Stakes
• ABR: A day with Orb
• TCI: Derby recap
• Kenny Mayne: Between two horses
• West: Look past Orb's bad day
• Cronley: Preakness traps
• Finley: Why Lukas is a winner
• Moran: Stevens all smiles
• Ehalt: Dark days
• Cronley: What were you thinking?
• Novak: Hernandez in the saddle
• Duckworth: Departing up for challenge
• Ehalt: Seeking redemption
• Moran: Triple Crown should not be easy
• Mayne: When will I listen?
• West: Tradition steals Derby spotlight
• West: Calumet back in Derby spotlight
• Moran: Progress tough on Churchill
• Novak: Victory starts on the backside