Calumet back in Derby spotlight
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Churchill Downs likes to call itself "America's most legendary racetrack," a distinction that depends almost entirely on its legendary race. The Kentucky Derby is to racing what "Hamlet" is to theater, continually inspiring and eliciting greatness. Even more, Saturday's Derby will return the greatest name in the sport to the limelight: Calumet.
And so Oxbow will become Calumet's first Kentucky Derby starter in 23 years, and like his owner, his jockey is also making a comeback.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- California Chrome faces five in Hollywood Derby
- Cary Street favored in G2 Hawthorne Gold Cup
- Cigar Mile: Itsmyluckyday's last career hurrah
- Lord Stanley poised for royalty in Ky Jockey Club
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
• 'Lucky' ends Triple Crown bid in Preakness
• Desormeaux defends Derby stretch ride
• Eskendereya retired; Jess Jackson buys in
• Eskendereya cruises in the Wood Memorial
• Drosselmeyer's feet seem OK after work
• Belmont: First Dude could be one to catch