Bodemeister early Preakness favorite
Updated: May 18, 2012, 11:31 AM ETBy Jack Shinar | Bloodhorse
Bodemeister, runner-up in the Kentucky Derby, has been made the 8-5 morning line favorite for the Preakness Stakes on Saturday and will break from post 7. Kentucky Derby winner I'll Have Another was made the 5-2 second choice. He breaks from post 9 in the field of 11 entered for the Preakness. Four of the top five finishers in the Derby are in the field. Six Derby contestants were entered for the second jewel of the Triple Crown with five newcomers. Post positions were drawn Wednesday night at Pimlico Race Course, which hosts the 1 3/16-mile event for 3-year-olds that was inaugurated in 1873. The field is the smallest since 2007, when Curlin beat Derby winner Street Sense in a nine-horse field. A win would give I'll Have Another a chance to become the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978 in the Belmont Stakes on June 9. With all the contenders drawing favorably in the relatively small field, there were few complaints from horsemen afterward.
In The Gate Podcast
Wide-ranging interview with Doug O'Neill, trainer of Kentucky Derby winner I'll Have Another. ESPN.com's Jay Cronley analyzes the Preakness, plus a Barry Abrams commentary.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Obviously controls pace to win G2 American H.
- Irish import Tannery takes G2 Sheepshead S
- 'Cove' wins consecutive stakes in Louisville H.
- Imposing Grace springs upset in Arlington Matron
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Stakes • Saturday, June 8
More Triple Crown
• Oxbow pointed to Belmont Stakes
• Oxbow upsets Preakness Stakes
• Freedom Child wins Peter Pan; Belmont next
• Orb wins 139th Kentucky Derby
• Princess of Sylmar rules Oaks
• Baffert out of Kentucky Derby
Bob Ehalt's Hot List
• Preakness Stakes review
• Breaking down the Preakness Stakes
• Derby recap and a look at the Peter Pan
• Breaking down the Kentucky Derby
In The Gate Video/Podcast
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 1
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 2
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 3
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 4
• Secretariat's historic run: Pt. 5
• Paul Hornung talks Titletown Five
Triple Crown Live Chat Schedule
• Belmont: Saturday, June 8 (3 p.m. ET)
• Preakness chat wrap
• Kentucky Derby chat wrap
• Kentucky Oaks chat wrap
• Derby Giveaway: Join Digiturf.com with reference code KD13 and race to Win $500!
• Derby Bonus: Join Digiturf.com with reference code KD13 and race in Kentucky Derby New Stable races to get an unlimited Match Bonus!
Triple Crown Video
• Watch the 138th Preakness Stakes
• ABR: A day with Orb
• TCI: Derby recap
• Kenny Mayne: Between two horses
• West: Look past Orb's bad day
• Cronley: Preakness traps
• Finley: Why Lukas is a winner
• Moran: Stevens all smiles
• Ehalt: Dark days
• Cronley: What were you thinking?
• Novak: Hernandez in the saddle
• Duckworth: Departing up for challenge
• Ehalt: Seeking redemption
• Moran: Triple Crown should not be easy
• Mayne: When will I listen?
• West: Tradition steals Derby spotlight
• West: Calumet back in Derby spotlight
• Moran: Progress tough on Churchill
• Novak: Victory starts on the backside