Kendrys Morales to visit specialist

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Contrary to what was announced Friday by Los Angeles Angels manager Mike Scioscia, Kendrys Morales has not restarted a running program on a treadmill and will not do so until he visits another orthopedist Monday in Colorado.

Morales has been on the disabled list since May 29, 2010, because of a left ankle fracture that was suffered while celebrating a game-ending grand slam against the Seattle Mariners. He said Saturday he will seek a second opinion from a specialist on ankles and knees in Colorado. Everything is being handled by the Angels, he said.

"I still have not restarted the running. What we will do on Monday is fly to Colorado to seek another opinion on what should our next step be. We want to determine the process which we will follow," Morales said.

Morales said Sunday that he and his representatives decided on getting a second opinion so he can "take the last step and feel comfortable going forward.

"We're going to the specialist because he knows best."

Morales has done only cardio work on a stationary bicycle the last few weeks. Before that he did run with spikes on the field but started feeling discomfort and swelling, forcing everything to be stopped. The first baseman explained his ankle hurts only when he puts it under high-impact activities.

"When I started running in the field I was OK one day and not OK during the next two or three days," he said. "On my regular daily walks I don't have trouble. It's only on impact activities. On that type I'm not feeling 100 percent."

Before the Angels' 4-3 loss to the Cleveland Indians on Saturday, Scioscia was asked if he knew how Morales' treadmill session had gone Friday. Scioscia said he did not know if Morales ran or not and was awaiting a briefing from team trainers.

After the game, when asked about Morales having said he was going to Colorado to see another doctor, all Scioscia would say was, "He's going to get a second opinion."

The player, who in 2009 batted .306 with 34 home runs and 108 RBIs, said the last few weeks he has basically undergone therapy on the ankle and exercised it only on the bicycle.

"About a week ago I got an injection to help me have more mobility," Morales said. "But I have not done anything of high impact. Only cardio in the bicycle and taken massage."

He said the specialist he is visiting will help determine the next steps for his rehabilitation. He hopes that visit will determine when he will able to again start running.

On Friday, Scioscia had reported Morales had rejoined the team and would start running on a treadmill.

Talking about how he feels in this hard rehabilitation process, Morales said he's positive.

"I'm patient," he said. "I've talked to some teammates and friends that have gone through similar injuries and they've told me it took them a year or a year and two months to recuperate. That with time, the pain will diminish. And I also know that I will have to play with some pain in the area. That's normal. It has to be. The surgery I went through was no little thing. It was a complicated procedure and a big fracture."

Morales said there has not been any discussions about additional procedures.

"It's all about feeling my best," Morales said. "Until I don't feel that way I won't return."

Noel Piñeiro Planas is a reporter for ESPNDeportesLA.com. ESPNLosAngeles.com's Blair Angulo contributed to this report. This original report was translated from Spanish.