Adrian Gonzalez dispels rumors
More On The Red Sox
Gordon Edes and the rest of the ESPNBoston.com team have the Red Sox covered for you. Blog
"In Boston, there is always a novel -- in here they never talk about baseball; it's always the same," Gonzalez told ESPNdeportesLosAngeles.com Thursday at Fenway Park. "That's one of the reasons why I almost never talk to the press here. Very few times they ask me about baseball. But most of the time it's about gossip, rumors, plots, well ... a soap opera.
"When they talk to me about baseball, I'm available. But that does not happen often."
On Wednesday, CSNNE.com reported that Gonzalez was placed on waivers by the Red Sox, a procedure that allows major league clubs to deal players after the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. The process is secret, unless the player in question is claimed and the parties agree to make the move.
It's common for teams to put players on waivers and then pull them back if a claim is made.
On Thursday, the Los Angeles Times reported that Gonzalez had a "remote possibility" of joining the Dodgers, who earlier in the season asked the Red Sox about the availability of the first baseman.
"I can't worry about things I can't control," Gonzalez said. "Nobody has told me that I'm on waivers and if that's true, does not mean they will trade me. I can't control any of that."
Gonzalez, 30, is batting .301 with 15 homers, 37 doubles and 85 RBIs this season. He is a .294 hitter with 210 homers, 727 RBIs and three Gold Gloves over nine seasons with Texas, San Diego and Boston.
His seven-year, $154 million contract with Boston extends until 2018 and contains a partial no-trade clause.
LOS ANGELES TOP STORIES
- Nike Men's Los Angeles Dodgers Authentic Collection Dri-FIT Legend Royal Performance T-Shirt