Men's Basketball Preview 2011-12
MORE FROM ESPN
- Brennan: College basketball has a big feel again
- As the college season gets under way, everything surrounding the sport seems to have a big feel to it.
- Mag: Harrison Barnes' smart choice to stay at UNC
- ESPN The Magazine looks at how the lockout made Harrison Barnes' choice to stay in school at UNC a brilliant decision
- Gasaway: Memphis is no top-10 team, yet
- John Gasaway examines the ranking of the Memphis Tigers and believes their early top-10 position in the coaches poll is unwarranted based on his statistical findings.
- Katz: Homer and Janet Drew stick together during cancer fight
- It was almost unimaginable. A couple married 44 years, each diagnosed with cancer within three days. Through faith and each other, former Valpo coach Homer Drew and his wife Janet are battling their toughest opponent yet.
- Fraschilla: Burning questions facing CAA
- Fran Fraschilla looks at the pressing on-court issues facing the CAA, starting with whether VCU can put together another strong season after last year's Final Four campaign.
- Gottlieb: Five underrated mid-majors
- Doug Gottlieb gives his list of five underrated mid-majors to look out for this season, led by the Drexel Dragons.
- O'Neil: Mature Jones focused on taking next step at Kentucky
- His aunt made sure Terrence Jones earned everything he got. In fact, she was the first victim in a basketball ladder climb that took no prisoners. Now in his second season at Kentucky, a mature Jones hopes to do the same to the college game.
- King: Programs rely on junior college transfers to succeed
- For every junior college player who experiences high-level success at a Division I school, there are hundreds who don't. Marquette and Buzz Williams have found the right formula with juco transfers, and other programs are hoping to emulate the Golden Eagles' success this season.
- O'Neil: College hoops is primed to fill void left by NBA
- Will the NBA lockout send more fans to college basketball arenas? History says no, but college hoops is ready to command center stage this season.
- O'Neil: Road to national title isn't easy with young point guards
- Only six freshman and sophomore point guards have led their teams to the national title in the past 20-plus years. What will it take for this season's crop of young talented point guards to join that special group?
- O'Neil: At Kentucky, players come first but titles better soon follow
- As long as John Calipari is at Kentucky, it'll be a "players first" environment. For the rabid fans of the Big Blue Nation, that's fine -- as long as those players win championships first.
IS IT BASKETBALL SEASON YET?
Check out the brackets, analysis and writer picks for nine early-season tournaments. Nation blog
ANDY KATZ'S 3-POINT SHOT
- All The Buzz
- Juco transfers are hit and miss, but Marquette has found a formula others are emulating.
- Welcoming Normal
- With Mizzou's help, for at least one weekend the residents of Joplin got back to the fun stuff.
- The Dirty Game
- How do programs skirt the rules? Dave Telep sheds light on the seedy side of recruiting.
- Behind The Curtain
- College athletes are finally asking tough questions. Will the NCAA listen this time?
- Hood opts for NBA after two years at Duke
- Freshman Parker leaving Duke to enter draft
- Haith leaving Mizzou for Tulsa job | O'Neil
- Duke promotes Capel after Wojo's departure
- NCAA prez: Food rule was 'absurd' | Maisel
- NCAA proposes hardship transfers sit 1 year
- Mich. State celebrates late Princess Lacey
- Kentucky's Young off to NBA draft | Analysis
- Gonzaga signs son of former Blazer Sabonis
- Adams to return to UCLA, bypass NBA draft
- Sources: Louisville inks adidas to $40M deal
- UCLA's Anderson, LaVine declare for draft
- Carson, star Sun Devils PG, opts for draft
- AD: Tennessee job still 'extremely attractive'
THE COLLEGE 3: 25TH ANNIVERSARY
SUMMER SESSION: 2011-12 PREVIEW
Our writers identify the hottest conference title races and player of the year battles. Roundtable
- • Vitale's top 40 | Katz's top 25 | Forde's take
- • Roundtable: The new national-title picture
- • Experts: Summer Buzz series | Brennan's take
- • Lunardi's offseason Bracketology | More
- • O'Neil: Offseason lessons | Winners/losers
- • Fraschilla: Improvement plans for top teams
- • Top transfers | Top breakout candidates
- • Roundtable: Four big questions | Sleepers
- • Offseason recaps: ACC | Big East | Big Ten
- • Big 12 | Ivy League | MWC | Pac-12 | SEC