Sources: Duke to play Tip-Off Classic
UNCASVILLE, Conn. -- The Hall of Fame Tip-Off Classic is making an attempt at securing its place as a destination for elite teams in late November by securing Duke as a headline team in 2016, according to multiple sources.
After preliminary rounds at campus sites, the field locks in four teams to come in a semifinal and championship game format at the Mohegan Sun. Florida, Purdue, Saint Joseph's and Vermont would be those teams in 2015, with Old Dominion, Niagara, Buffalo and North Carolina A&T playing in the early rounds.
The 2016 headliners joining Duke are still be to determined.
The tournament announced the 2014 field this week with headline teams Notre Dame, UMass, Providence and Florida State. The other four teams in the early rounds will be Manhattan, Navy, Northeastern and Binghamton.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Men's UMass Minutemen Maroon Basketball T-Shirt