Wally Ellenson remains on track team
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota sophomore Wally Ellenson has left the program.
Coach Richard Pitino says the team respects Ellenson's decision, which was announced by the university Tuesday.
A native of Rice Lake, Wis., Ellenson appeared in nine games this season, totaling 16 points, 12 rebounds, two assists and a steal. As a freshman, the 6-foot-4 reserve overcame a broken left hand suffered early in the season and played in nine games.
Ellenson plans to remain on the Gophers' track and field team. Last year, he placed eighth in the high jump at the NCAA outdoor championships.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- Rick Pitino: 'Passion, enthusiasm' still high
- College of Charleston's Wojcik not recruiting
- UNC hopes to set up meeting with McCants
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Minnesota Golden Gophers Full-Sized Crossover Basketball