Larry Brown leads practice for SMU after falling ill during game

DALLAS -- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown was back on the court Monday to direct No. 10 SMU's practice the day after he missed the second half of a game for the undefeated Mustangs.

Brown wasn't feeling well all day Sunday. He coached the first half of an 88-73 win over UCF but didn't return after halftime because he felt dizzy.

"I'm going to be all right. ... With me, if I turn the wrong way, or if I jump up too quickly ... I lose some equilibrium," Brown said Monday before practice. "Maybe it's because I'm 75, and I don't realize it."

Associate head coach Tim Jankovich directed the team in the second half Sunday.

During Monday's two-hour practice, Brown was actively involved, shouting and pointing things out to his players. Even at the end, the coach was making passes for some players to work on shots.

The practice came after the Mustangs (15-0) moved up five spots in the Associated Press Top 25 earlier Monday. They are in the top 10 for the first time since February 1985.

The coach blamed fatigue, dehydration and a virus for aggravating symptoms he has dealt with in the past, including fluid in his ears. He saw a doctor after Sunday's game, got some medication and said he got eight hours of sleep for the first time in a long time.

"I've had bouts like this that lasted a while and some that passed quickly," Brown said. "I've got to sit down better. ... I found myself up screaming too much yesterday. I think that was the key. It's a natural thing, but I was too engaged."

Aside from when he was ejected from an NBA game, Brown said Sunday was the first time he can remember not finishing a contest.

The Mustangs are halfway through their 30-game regular season, which is all they will have because of NCAA penalties that include a postseason ban. Brown missed the first nine games because of the sanctions. Jankovich also served as head coach during Brown's suspension.

SMU has played with seven scholarship players in its past three games because junior guard Keith Frazier is away from the team for personal reasons. Brown said the situation with Frazier contributed to his lack of sleep. The coach has said Frazier is academically eligible and on track to graduate.

"We've told you from the beginning it's just some personal issues that he's got to sort out, and when that's finalized, hopefully I'll be able to be more clear about what's going on," Brown said. "My hope is that he understands we're here to help and we'll support whatever he does. That's the only thing that really concerns me right now. He's got to be clear about what he feels is best for him because then, ultimately, it will be best for us."

The coach said Frazier sent him a message after Sunday's game to check on him. The two are scheduled to meet Tuesday before the team travels to play East Carolina on Wednesday.

Frazier, who missed the second half of the past season because of academics, averaged 11.9 points and 4.4 rebounds in 10 games this season before being away from the team. Online course work for Frazier prior to his enrollment at SMU was part of the NCAA investigation that led to the sanctions in the fall.

"I'm hopeful that he knows we want him to graduate because he's done an unbelievable job to put him in a position to do that," Brown said. "And there's no reason we can't support him in that regard."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.