Rakeem Buckles lost for season
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Louisville forward Rakeem Buckles tore a ligament in his left knee during the Cardinals' loss at Marquette and will miss the rest of the season as well as all of 2012-13 with the injury.
"All of us are just crushed" at Buckles' latest setback after he spent nearly nine months working to return from the right knee injury he sustained in February 2011, coach Rick Pitino said in a statement Tuesday. Buckles appeared in 11 games, averaging four points and 3.8 rebounds.
The Cardinals (14-5, 2-4 Big East) have lost five of seven games and have lost seven players for at least one game because of health or eligibility issues. Earlier this year, guard Mike Marra also tore a ligament in his left knee.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC's McDonald reinstated; Hairston still out
- AD backs SIU coach after tirade goes viral
- Laettner's jersey from 'The Shot' at auction
- Florida gets Murphy's brother via Duke transfer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Louisville Cardinals #2 Cardinal Red Basketball Replica Jersey