Utah kicks Josh Watkins off team
SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak has dismissed point guard Josh "Jiggy" Watkins for an undisclosed team rules violation.
Krystkowiak made the announcement Wednesday, saying he could not sacrifice the integrity of the program for one individual.
He had suspended Watkins earlier in the season for three days and one game, and subsequently had implemented a "zero tolerance" rule for players who were late to practice or missed meetings.
The Utes have struggled in their first year under Krystkowiak and in the Pac-12. They are 4-13 overall and 1-4 in conference play.
Watkins was the lone senior on Utah's active roster and was leading the Utes with 15.6 points and 4.8 assists per game. He hit the game-winner in overtime in Utah's lone Pac-12 win on Jan. 5 over Washington State.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's Utah Utes Crimson Fishing Woven Short Sleeve Shirt