Jerry Tarkanian due to be released
LAS VEGAS -- Former UNLV basketball coach Jerry Tarkanian is expected to be out of the hospital Friday, more than two weeks after suffering a heart attack, his son said.
Danny Tarkanian told The Associated Press on Wednesday that his father has been transferred to a rehabilitation center at MountainView Hospital in Las Vegas.
The 81-year-old Tarkanian wants to go home and is in good spirits while he rebuilds his strength after his long hospital stay, his son said.
Jerry Tarkanian suffered the heart attack March 20, when he began wheezing during a doctor's visit. He remained hospitalized so doctors could monitor his blood-oxygen levels.
Tarkanian coached the Runnin' Rebels for 19 seasons. His team won the NCAA men's basketball title in 1990.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA president: Pay-for-play isn't coming
- NCAA may work with power 5 conferences
- Wells sparks Maryland past Boston College
- Former Hoya Whittington intends to transfer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Youth UNLV Rebels Scarlet Basketball T-Shirt