Trey Zeigler can join Pittsburgh
The NCAA told the school Friday it will waive the mandatory one-year sit-out rule for Zeigler, who left Central Michigan last month after his father, Ernie Zeigler, was not retained as coach.
Zeigler will have two years of eligibility remaining. He averaged 16.0 points in 63 games spanning two seasons at Central Michigan and was named to the All-Mid-American Conference third team this spring after averaging 15.6 points and 6.7 rebounds for the Chippewas.
The 6-foot-5 Zeigler gives the Panthers immediate help at shooting guard after the graduation of star Ashton Gibbs.
Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said he was "grateful" for the NCAA's decision.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC not applying for Hairston reinstatement
- No. 2 Syracuse runs away from High Point
- Oglesby (foot) ready to return for No. 25 Iowa
- Heels' James out 2 weeks with knee injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Central Michigan Chippewas Maroon On-Court Practice T-Shirt