Corey Heyward to miss Tech's season
ATLANTA -- Georgia Tech coach Brian Gregory says guard Corey Heyward is expected to miss the 2012-13 season after tearing a ligament in his left knee in a pickup game.
Heyward, a former standout at Peachtree Ridge High School in the Atlanta area, signed with Georgia Tech after spending one year at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia.
Gregory on Monday said Heyward tore his left anterior cruciate ligament on Thursday and will have surgery in the next two weeks. The recovery period usually takes up to a year.
Heyward enrolled at Georgia Tech for summer semester.
Gregory says Heyward's injury is "a temporary setback."
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Full-Sized Crossover Basketball