USS Yorktown to host Buckeyes
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Ohio State's men's and women's basketball teams will open the season on the USS Yorktown in the Carrier Classic.
The Buckeye women will take on national runner-up Notre Dame on Nov. 9. That game will be followed by the Ohio State men taking on Marquette. Last year's Carrier Classic was held in San Diego on the USS Carl Vinson when North Carolina defeated Michigan State, a game attended by President Barack Obama.
Michael Whalen, director of event organizer Morale Entertainment Foundation, said Wednesday he expected to have about 4,000 seats available for the doubleheader. Although Whalen said the final capacity would be determined by state and local fire marshals.
The Yorktown served in World War II and Vietnam. It is docked in Charleston Harbor as a museum.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- J. America Men's Ohio State Buckeyes Heathered Grey Basketball Vintage Dyed T-Shirt