Donovan's son transfers to Florida
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Billy Donovan will have his oldest son on the bench this season -- and maybe on the floor the following year.
Donovan's son, also named Billy Donovan, has transferred to Florida from Catholic University. The walk-on junior guard must sit out this season under NCAA transfer rules and will be eligible to compete for the Gators next fall.
Don't expect the younger Donovan to be like dad, though. Donovan averaged 4.0 points and 1.7 rebounds in two years at Catholic. He averaged 5.9 points and had 49 assists as a sophomore last season.
The elder Donovan says it's "going to be great to have Billy here, both for our team and for our family." The coach adds that he hopes "this will be a great experience for him."
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Florida Gators Full-Sized Crossover Basketball