Kansas' Zach Peters (shoulder) out
Coach Bill Self said Thursday that Peters' injury will not require surgery, but the freshman will be held out of contact. Self characterized it as a "nagging injury that has been bothering over time that has affected his ability to play on the court."
The 6-foot-9 Peters is among several players who will try to fill the void left by All-American Thomas Robinson, who declared for the NBA draft after his junior season.
The Jayhawks, who were picked to win the Big 12 in a poll of coaches earlier Thursday, officially open practice Friday with the annual "Late Night in the Phog."
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- Source: Kentucky among 4 in Miami event
- Florida loses Walker to season-ending injury
- Source: Wojcik heads out on recruiting trail
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- FANMATS Kansas Jayhawks Basketball Mat