Digger Phelps diagnosed with cancer
Television analyst and former Notre Dame coach Digger Phelps has been diagnosed with bladder cancer, ESPN announced Thursday.
Phelps has had surgery and will start follow-up treatment next week near his home in South Bend, Indiana.
In a statement, Phelps said that "he and his family appreciate your thoughts and prayers as he prepares for the 2013-2014 college basketball season."
Phelps, 71, has been a college basketball analyst for ESPN since 1993. He coached the Fighting Irish for 20 years from 1972-1991.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA president: Pay-for-play isn't coming
- Wilbekin, Florida hold on to topple Kansas
- UK bounces back to shut down Boise State
- Providence loses Dunn (shoulder) for season
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Baden Notre Dame Fighting Irish Two-Toned Full-Sized Basketball