Digger Phelps diagnosed with cancer
Television analyst and former Notre Dame coach Digger Phelps has been diagnosed with bladder cancer, ESPN announced Thursday.
Phelps has had surgery and will start follow-up treatment next week near his home in South Bend, Indiana.
In a statement, Phelps said that "he and his family appreciate your thoughts and prayers as he prepares for the 2013-2014 college basketball season."
Phelps, 71, has been a college basketball analyst for ESPN since 1993. He coached the Fighting Irish for 20 years from 1972-1991.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC's McDonald reinstated; Hairston still out
- AD backs SIU coach after tirade goes viral
- Laettner's jersey from 'The Shot' at auction
- No. 3 Ohio State pulls away from Delaware
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Notre Dame Fighting Irish Navy Point Guard Basketball Shorts