Joey King transfers to Minnesota
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Gophers basketball team has added another Minnesota native to the roster.
Forward Joey King, a transfer from Drake, signed his scholarship tender Tuesday. His application with the NCAA to be eligible to play this season is pending.
King joins guards Deandre Mathieu, Daquien McNeil and Malik Smith as members of coach Richard Pitino's first recruiting class at Minnesota. Smith transferred from Florida International.
King is a native of Eagan. He led Eastview High School to the state tournament in 2012, averaging 24 points and six rebounds per game as a senior.
Last season for Drake, the 6-foot-9, 215-pound King played in all 32 games and was named to the Missouri Valley Conference all-freshman team. He shot almost 35 percent from 3-point range, going 33 for 95.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Xavier completes sweep of No. 21 G'town
- Oklahoma State takes down No. 20 Baylor
- UW dismisses Upshaw for violating team rules
- Unbeatens Kentucky, Virginia still atop AP poll
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Minnesota Golden Gophers Maroon Basketball Player Performance T-shirt