Justin Verlander to start for AL
Verlander is 9-5 with a 2.58 ERA in 18 starts this season. The 29-year-old made his case for starting in the All-Star Game when he beat Minnesota 5-1 on Wednesday, pitching his fifth complete game along the way.
"It would be fantastic, but I know there are some other guys out there having exceptional years," Verlander said after that game. "I'd like to have that on my resume, but you aren't owed anything in this game. I'm not the only guy having a good season."
Los Angeles Angels' Jered Weaver, Texas Rangers' Yu Darvish and Matt Harrison, Seattle Mariners' Felix Hernandez, Chicago White Sox's Jake Peavy and Chris Sale, and Tampa Bay Rays' David Price are among the other starting pitchers on the American League roster.
Rangers' skipper Ron Washington is managing the AL squad.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Dodgers' Ramirez hit on hand, to miss game
- Angels put OF Calhoun on DL, call up Boesch
- Teixeira to play in minors, could return Sunday
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Detroit Tigers Justin Verlander #35 Cool Base Road Grey On-Field Jersey