Eric Chavez, D-backs finalize deal
The 35-year-old Chavez hit .281 with 16 homers in 278 at-bats last season for the New York Yankees, playing first and third base and at designated hitter.
Chavez was a six-time Gold Glove third baseman with Oakland before injuries sidelined him for significant time for several years. But he found success in a limited role with New York, seeing more playing time after Alex Rodriguez broke his hand in late July.
In 1,491 games with Oakland and New York, Chavez has a .267 average with 248 home runs and 850 RBIs.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rico Arizona Diamondbacks Small Static Window Cling