Umpire Jim Joyce misses call
WASHINGTON -- It's another umpiring call that went the St. Louis Cardinals way this postseason.
And it's not the first time TV replays show umpire Jim Joyce missed a call at first base.
Joyce ruled Nationals batter Danny Espinosa out when he bunted with a runner on and no outs in the second inning of Wednesday's Game 3 of Washington's NL division series against St. Louis. Nationals manager Davey Johnson came out to argue as fans booed.
The Cardinals benefited from a disputed infield-fly rule call in their wild-card game victory at the Atlanta Braves last week. Fans at that game responded by tossing trash on the field.
Joyce is best known for blowing a call at first base to ruin Detroit pitcher Armando Galarraga's bid for a perfect game in 2010.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Atlanta Braves B.J. Upton #2 Cool Base Alternate Ivory Jersey w/ Hank Aaron 715th HR Patch