Melky Cabrera reinstated after ban
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera has been reinstated by Major League Baseball after serving a 50-game suspension for a positive testosterone test, but he will not be part of the Giants' playoff roster.
Cabrera is back on the Giants' 40-man roster as of Friday. Giants vice president of baseball operations Bobby Evans says, "Cabrera's status regarding the postseason remains unchanged" after the club announced Sept. 27 it wouldn't add Cabrera for any round.
The Giants open the NL Championship Series on Sunday against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Cabrera was suspended Aug. 15, a month after he was the All-Star game MVP. He was batting .346 with 11 home runs and 60 RBIs in his first season with San Francisco.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Lester, Ross carry Red Sox past White Sox
- Sizemore's scoop caps Yankees' triple play
- Cards' Wainwright 2-hits error-prone Nats
- Sabathia pitches Yankees past Price, Rays
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica San Francisco Giants Buster Posey #28 Black/Camo Jersey