BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox's season isn't quite up in flames, but a small fire at a landmark near Fenway Park can't be a good omen.
The fire Wednesday melted and blackened some of the plastic panels on the red, white and blue Citgo sign over Fenway's Green Monster in left field. No one was injured.
Steve MacDonald, a spokesman for the Boston Fire Department, said the flames and smoke, first spotted by bystanders and drivers about noon, were quickly put out and the blaze was likely caused by an electrical short circuit. Damage was estimated at $5,000.
The Green Monster has seen several balls soar over it in recent days. Boston trails Tampa 3-1 in the American League Championship Series.
According to Citgo's Web site, the 60-foot by 60-foot sign -- which has been on top of a building by the ballpark since 1940 -- includes more than 5 miles of neon tubes, lit by 250 high-voltage transformers.
In 2005, however, the company renovated the sign and switched to light-emitting diodes (LEDs), according to the Boston Globe.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.