Padres get rained out at home for first time since 1998

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The weather in San Diego gave Barry Bonds a break from fan abuse.

The first rainout in San Diego since 1998 forced the postponement of Tuesday night's game between the San Francisco Giants and the Padres.

The game will be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader July 1.

It was just the 16th rainout in the Padres' 38-year history and the first at Petco Park, which opened in 2004. The Padres had played 635 consecutive home games since they were washed out on May 12, 1998, at Qualcomm Stadium.

The teams will push back their scheduled starters to Wednesday night. Matt Morris is scheduled to make his Giants debut, and Shawn Estes, a one-time Giants pitcher, is set to make his Padres debut.

Manager Felipe Alou wasn't clear on whether Bonds would play Wednesday night. The original plan was to play him Monday and Tuesday night, then rest him Wednesday night so he can play in the Giants' home opener Thursday afternoon against Atlanta.

"As far as I'm concerned, he's playing tomorrow," Alou said. "But I have to be sure, so we'll wait until tomorrow. It would be tough for even a younger guy" to play Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon. "It's a long day Thursday and everyone wants to play in the home opener."

Bonds was mercilessly booed in Monday's 6-1 loss to the Padres, and a fan threw a syringe at him as he walked off the field at the end of the eighth inning.

Padres executive Richard Andersen described it as a toy syringe.

Bonds is under investigation by baseball for alleged steroid use. Bonds, who has denied using performance-enhancing drugs, entered the season with 708 home runs, seven shy of passing Babe Ruth for second on the all-time list, and 48 short of breaking the record by Hank Aaron.

The Padres planned to close a standing-room-only area just beyond the left-field corner while the Giants are in town because some fans were "acting very inappropriately" Monday while Bonds was playing left field, Andersen said.

Club officials didn't have to worry about that Tuesday night. It started raining about 4:30 p.m., eased up around the scheduled start time of 7 p.m., then started again just before the game was postponed not quite an hour later.

"It doesn't happen often, does it?" Padres manager Bruce Bochy said. "It's something you never think about. It was relentless, and there's some hard stuff coming in. It was getting sloppy out there."

Told how rare rainouts are in San Diego, Estes said: "Wow. That's impressive."

He said he became known as a mudder in 2004 while with Colorado because of a number of rain delays and rainouts on days of his scheduled starts.

"Sometimes you want it to rain," Estes said. "Today wasn't one of those. I was looking forward to getting out there."