1:10 PM ET, April 14, 2007
Shea Stadium, Flushing, New York
• Summary: Nationals starter Shawn Hill gave manager Manny Acta his first win against his old club as Hill pitched seven innings, allowing two runs and striking out five in Washington's 6-2 win.
• Turning point: The Nationals' Chris Snelling's hit a two-run home run in the sixth to give Washington a 6-1 lead. As if that wasn't bad enough for the Mets, starting pitcher Orlando Hernandez plunked Hill with an inside pitch near his forearm. El Duque was immediately tossed and the Mets scored one more run the rest of the day.
• Unsung hero: Snelling, Ryan Church and Dimitri Young all hit home runs for the Nationals. Brian Schneider went 3-4 and scored two runs.
• Figure this: The Mets' David Wright went 2-4 today to extend his hitting streak to a career-best 23 games and he is the first Mets player to get a hit in each of the team's first 11 games.
• Elias Says: The Nationals hit three home runs in their 6-2 win over the Mets, but what really raised eyebrows was Felipe Lopez's steal of second base in the third inning. It was Washington's first stolen base of the season, coming in its 12th game. That's the farthest into a season any National League team has gone without a stolen base since the Pirates failed to steal one in their first 23 games of the 1973 season.
-- ESPN.com news services
Nationals 6, Mets 2
Nationals RF Austin Kearns made a strong throw in the first to cut down Beltran at the plate on Delgado's sharp single. ... Chad Cordero worked the ninth for Washington.
Regular Season Series
|Series tied 9-9 (as of Sat 4/14)|
|Fri 4/13||@NYM 3, WAS 2||Recap|
|» Sat 4/14||WAS 6, @NYM 2||Box Score|
|Fri 4/27||@WAS 4, NYM 3||Recap|
|Sat 4/28||NYM 6, @WAS 2||Recap|
|Sun 4/29||NYM 1, @WAS 0||Recap|
|Fri 7/27||WAS 6, @NYM 2||Recap|
|Sat 7/28||@NYM 3, WAS 1||Recap|
|Sat 7/28||WAS 6, @NYM 5||Recap|
|Sun 7/29||@NYM 5, WAS 0||Recap|
|Fri 8/17||NYM 6, @WAS 2||Recap|
|Sat 8/18||NYM 7, @WAS 4||Recap|
|Sun 8/19||NYM 8, @WAS 2||Recap|
|Mon 9/17||@WAS 12, NYM 4||Recap|
|Tue 9/18||@WAS 9, NYM 8||Recap|
|Wed 9/19||NYM 8, @WAS 4||Recap|
|Mon 9/24||WAS 13, @NYM 4||Recap|
|Tue 9/25||WAS 10, @NYM 9||Recap|
|Wed 9/26||WAS 9, @NYM 6||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Nationals | Mets|
|2nd||D Young homered to center.||1||0|
|2nd||C Snelling grounded out to second, R Church scored, B Schneider to second.||2||0|
|2nd||J Valentin doubled to left, S Green scored, R Castro to third.||2||1|
|4th||F Lopez grounded into fielder's choice to third, B Schneider scored, C Snelling out at third.||3||1|
|6th||R Church homered to center.||4||1|
|6th||C Snelling homered to right, B Schneider scored.||6||1|
|6th||S Green doubled to deep left, D Wright scored.||6||2|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Shea Stadium, Flushing, NY|
|Attendance||53,560 (127.8% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||50 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Mike Winters, First Base - Mark Wegner, Second Base - Bruce Froemming, Third Base - Brian Runge|